Ready yourself to make powerful and positive change at The Conference on Opportunity, Diversity and Equity. Expect to hear uncommon and unexpected approaches to transforming your workplace and leave equipped with unique tools to take action and make an impact.
Come ready. Engage openly. Leave empowered.
Follow #TheConferenceOMA on social.
VIRTUAL EVENT: DAY 1-2
October 21-22, 2021
Hosted virtually and facilitated by
Greater Omaha Chamber
October 21, 2021 | Afternoon
Optional Professional Development Session
- Includes one (1) login credential for the live, virtual event and access to the recorded content for 30 days.
- Includes five (5) login credentials for the live, virtual event and access to the recorded content for 30 days for each individual.
- Includes ten (10) login credentials for the live, virtual event, access to the recorded content for 30 days for each individual, your company name listed on the event landing page and a company profile on virtual event platform.
Professional Development Training SessionOptional Add-On
- Includes access to the Professional Development Training Session on Thursday, Oct. 21 from 1:30 – 5:00 p.m. This is an in-person session and will take place at Creighton University.
- The Training Session is facilitated in partnership between Creighton University Division of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion and Greater Omaha Chamber’s CODE program.
- This is an add-on option only and can be added to any participant’s registration (sponsor, group or individual ticket purchases). You must purchase a ticket to The Conference in order to attend this session.
- A certificate will be issued upon completion of this course.
*Registrations to The Conference do not include access to the Professional Development Training Session. Access to the Professional Development Training Session will be an additional $75 per attendee. This is an add-on only session.
By Sunday, Oct. 17, 2021, all attendees must be registered using their own primary email address – this is to ensure each individual receives online access to the virtual event platform.
Reservations are due by Sunday, Oct. 17, 2021. No refunds for cancellations will be granted after this date.
Omar Johnson is a marketing innovator in the art of building world-class brands.. As former CMO of Beats by Dre and VP of Marketing at Apple, throughout his career, Johnson has led all facets of marketing, ranging from brand development and positioning to advertising and global digital marketing.Under Johnson’s tenure, Beats grew from $20 million to a $2.0 billion dollar category leader, becoming the #1 premium headphone in over 25 countries, which led to the subsequent purchase by Apple for $3 billion in 2014. Adweek named Johnson a “Brand Genius,” and Business Insider named him one of the “Most Innovative CMOs” in 2016.
Soraya Chemaly is an award-winning journalist, media critic, and activist whose writing appears regularly in The Atlantic, The Nation, TIME, Salon, The Guardian, and The New Statesman. Her sharply of-the-moment talks speak to our growing need for corporate inclusivity, freedom of speech, comprehension of gender roles in human systems, and data and technology. Chemaly’s keynotes provide an incisive look at the way emotional competency can guide us towards correcting the unconscious biases that happen at work and all around us—and how we can use our own emotional signals to break down barriers to equality.
Special Guest: Angel Jennings
Angel Jennings, assistant managing editor for culture and talent at the Los Angeles Times, will join us for a special Lunchtime Learning session that focuses on changing narratives, eliminating bias and telling stories.
Attendees can claim 11.00 credits by doing the following:
Credit Type: HR (General)
If someone attends the full event and only needs HR credit, they can use the ID number under the pre-approved section of their recertification application. The activity ID will be provided to attendees after the event.
The use of this official seal confirms that this Activity has met HR Certification Institute’s® (HRCI®) criteria for recertification credit pre-approval.
Interested in attending the Conference on Diversity, Opportunity and Equity, but need a little help getting there?
The Greater Omaha Chamber will award twenty (20) scholarships, which include one (1) individual registration to The Conference. Each scholarship will cover $100 of the applicant’s registration fee. The applicant is responsible for the remaining $25 to attend. Applications due by September 20.
Applications are now closed for 2021.
Breakout Presenter RFPs
Each year, we announce a call for submissions for Breakout Speaker applications. Breakout Speaker applications are available to any individual interested in providing quality content focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion. Content should be focused on workplace or community DEI, or DEI for individual advocates.
Uncomfortable conversations. Unexpected insights. Unfiltered education. The Conference on Opportunity, Diversity and Equity is looking for breakout session speakers who will bring uncommon and unexpected approaches as they help leaders take bold steps in their DEI journeys.
RFP applications are now closed.
Applications are available from Thursday, April 15, 2021, until Sunday, May 9, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. To be considered, complete the electronic application within the allotted time frame. Late and/or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applicants will be notified no later than Friday, June 11, 2021, of their status.
Questions about applying to speak? Contact Susie Owens.
Breakout Speaker applications are available to any individual interested in providing quality content focused on diversity, equity and inclusion. Content should be focused on workplace or community DEI, or DEI for individual advocates.
Applicants must be prepared to present via a virtual conference.
Presentation topics should align with one of the following tracks:
- Workplace DEI – Managers: Managers play a crucial role in advocating and modeling inclusive behavior for their teams. These sessions should provide actionable insight for managers, such as building and shaping the most inclusive teams, modeling inclusive behavior and setting team expectations, responding to non-inclusive behavior, etc.
- Workplace DEI – ERG’s (Employee Resource Groups): These sessions should help ERG’s increase their impact and effectiveness by providing strategy on membership and resources for improving organizational results.
- Workplace DEI – Employment Practices & Strategy: Sessions should provide insight on DEI programs, best practices and strategies that aid in achieving objectives that foster increased diversity, an inclusive culture and positive business outcomes aligned with the all aspects of a company’s overall strategy.
- Community DEI: These sessions should identify tactical items for becoming a diverse and inclusive community that honors, welcomes and accepts all people. We welcome sessions overviewing policy and practices impacting housing, criminal justice reform, economic development, health disparities, education and more.
- DEI for Individual Advocates: Everyone can be a D&I champion in their community. These sessions should help individuals discover their individual role in transforming communities and workplaces to be equitable and welcoming places.
If I am selected, will I have to pay to attend the event?
If you are selected, you will receive a complimentary ticket to The Conference.
How many people will hear/see my presentation?
The virtual audience might mean many more viewers will enjoy your insight. Expect up to 100 attendees at your session, although we cannot guarantee a specific number.
Who owns my content?
You own your words, however, you will be asked to sign a release regarding distribution of your content, and use of your likeness, relative to this event. While the ideas are yours, The Conference oversight committee will make decisions regarding distribution of your recorded session.
What audio/visual equipment is available?
If you are selected, you will receive a follow-up communication designed to address these details.
Will I be evaluated?
Yes. Participants (those who view your presentation) will be invited to provide feedback about your session. This information will be shared with you after the event.
What about an introduction before I speak?
Your application asks for a bio. Be clear and specific in completing this section. Your bio will be used to build your introduction.
I have a product to sell, may I do so during my presentation?
No. This is not a venue for product sales or promotion.
How many guests may I bring with me to attend my session?
The Conference is for registered attendees. If your guests have paid for a registration, they may attend your session.
What kind of promotion will I receive for my participation?
If you are selected, promotional opportunities, and expectations, will be discussed. The Greater Omaha Chamber is responsible for all event promotion.
Will you need a copy of my presentation beforehand?
Yes. We will need to either discuss or review your content prior to presentation. If you are selected, you will receive a follow-up communication designed to address these details.
ADVOCACY & ALLYSHIP SPONSOR
BREAKOUT SESSION SPONSOR
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska
Children’s Hospital & Medical Center
Home Instead Senior Care
Metropolitan Utilities District
Northern Natural Gas Company
University of Nebraska System
Commitment to Opportunity, Diversity and Equity
The Greater Omaha Chamber’s Commitment to Opportunity, Diversity and Equity (CODE) initiative works to address diversity, inclusivity, equity and access to opportunity in Greater Omaha. We are forming an employer coalition that aims to rally the business community to advance diversity and inclusion within the workplace by working collectively across organizations and sectors. All companies are encouraged to join us.
Photo and Video Release
By registering and participating in this event, you consent to the recording of your likeness, image and/or voice and authorize the Greater Omaha Chamber to use photographs, videos and audio recordings containing your likeness, image and/or voice in any medium for any purpose.
© 2017 Greater Omaha Chamber.