How do you effectively prospect for a successful sales campaign? How do I grow my pipeline month over month? How do I make my goal of five demos per week?
Outbound prospecting is the first step before making the first call, cold or warm.
Outbound sales prospecting means finding direct contact data points from scratch to fill your sales pipeline that ultimately leads opportunities down deal stages within a sales funnel. That way you can do what makes you money—talking to people who actually want to buy.
Everyone in your organization should be prospecting to grow the company. Even the CEO, or acting board members, are always on the hunt. So how often should you be adding to your pipeline? Well, if you want to succeed and consistently see your sales pipeline build, each team member should be prospecting at least on a weekly basis. Pipelines and funnels are meant to hold a constant stream and sales teams that balance lead acquisition and lead nurturing to grow faster than others. If it’s not in your routine, you’ll end up with crickets and panic will settle in your voice and decisions.
Top 5 key factors when prospecting –
1) Identify Profitable Customer Segment(s) – every company needs to identify its most profitable/beneficial customer segment(s) that they need to focus on. You have to be aware of how much time you are investing in leads/opportunities that are not reaching your revenue goals.
2) Administer Time on your Calendar – it’s always good practice to start and end your day with prospecting. Allocating time on your calendar is an ideal way to hold yourself accountable. It’s vital to add five net new companies to your prospecting deal stage each day. It’s important to notate new companies, not five net new contacts. One company may have a variety of contacts that you need to reach out to.
3) Clean List – Time is money and having a clean prospecting list will show true traction and respond to your sales campaigns. Focus on direct data points from key decision-makers and the roles in your customer’s purchasing process are apart of. You should not reach out to HR if you need the sales department. When you have accurate contact information, the time in between calls/email will be minimal and in turn, saves you more time to reach out to more leads.
4) Use a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) to the Fullest – At its core, a CRM is the technology that your company should use to manage the interactions that you have with your leads, opportunities and current customers. It did not happen if it’s not in your CRM. The buy-in to use a CRM creates a structure and transparency to collect data to fuel your sales funnel. In addition, it’s the basis of scalable sales and marketing execution. Any company will benefit the collection of information from their customer persona for a sales campaign and/or marketing distribution.
5) Contact Sport – When you get into a good habit of prospecting every day, you will see the results of your hard and focused work. Now that may come with a more “no’s” than “yes”, however, that is a win in and of itself. A good sales representative knows how to optimize their prospecting process to get to a response and/or qualification.
All startups and entrepreneurs always get asked, “How do you scale that idea? Will that business model scale?” Well, you will never know if you don’t ask, right? Getting the opportunity to ask the right people is the result of sales prospecting. Being smart with your sales prospecting is a key component of growing your business. You are prone to accuses as a business if you don’t prospect to grow your company.