2020 was the first year we co-hosted YP Day at the Capitol in partnership with Lincoln Young Professionals Group. Over 80 YPs attended for some policy in action!
The day consisted of morning programming centered around policy 101 that included Civic Nebraska, the Election Commissioner and both GOP and DEM representatives. We then toured the Capitol which included a stop to see the Governor’s office, visits to various senator offices and sitting on the current legislation session. We ended the day with a lunch & learn for both YP groups to share recent survey projects we both have been working on.
Engagements like YP Day at the Capitol are important because it helps YPs to increase their public policy knowledge, learn how to creatively advocate for causes that we care most about, and allows YPs to have a stronger, more impactful voice.
Greater Omaha Young Professionals Mission:
The Greater Omaha Young Professionals (GO YPs) serve as a catalyst to attract, develop, and retain young professionals to the Greater Omaha area through engagement, opportunity, and advocacy.
GO YP Public Policy Engagement:
As a group representing Young Professionals (YPs) in the Greater Omaha area, the GO YPs believe that education in contemporary public policy issues and active engagement in the local policy-making processes are imperative facets of our group. We are proponents of the following areas of interest:
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Economic development and talent workforce opportunities
By establishing and focusing on these specific areas and providing educational opportunities related to the policy-making process, such as the State of Our City and YP Day at the Capitol events, we will strive to be the catalysts for an engaged YP population with an active voice in the policy-making process in order to affect the change that we seek to achieve.
GOC YPs Support the Following Legislation for the 2020 Legislative Session:
- LB 720 (Kolterman) – Adopt the ImagiNE Nebraska Act and provide tax incentives
- LB 627 (Pansing Brooks) – Prohibit discrimination based upon sexual orientation and gender identity
- LB 1060 (Cavanaugh) – Include hair texture and protective hairstyles within the definition of race under the Nebraska Fair Employment Practice Act
- LB 979 (Morfeld) – Appropriate funds to the Department of Transportation
- LB 1077 (Wayne) – Traffic congestion in municipal areas
For more information about the GOYPs please contact Kelsey Haswell, 2020 Chair, at email@example.com.