Artwork by Zach Klebba
Our mission as the Young Professionals Council is to attract, engage and retain young professionals (YPs) in Greater Omaha by helping ensure our community is embracing, engaging and enticing for our generation. We have done that in a variety of ways, from advocating for policies or initiatives in our community to getting the “truth” on our community straight from YPs and turning those into recommendations for our community to utilize. Our goal has always been to elevate our community and the 2019 YP Council will embrace that by:
Highlighting the “A” in STEAM
Through conversations in the community, we know that STEM and the Arts are two fields that are not just interesting for YPs, but are becoming increasingly important for the jobs of tomorrow – and the decisions on where they will be located. We’ve seen this increasing impact of STEAM on city wide scales, in places like Austin or Nashville, and on individual YP levels with the resources and opportunities influencing where we decide to live, work and play.
With this trend in mind, we are focusing on STEAM in 2019 – combining our traditional focus areas of STEM and Arts & Culture, with a special emphasis on the Arts by:
- Identifying initiatives or projects that can elevate and strengthen these fields.
- Educating our community on what these terms mean and why they matter.
- Connecting YPs inside these communities to cultivate collaboration and introduce interested YPs to what is happening in the Omaha area.
Want to get involved? Here’s how!
- Attend our upcoming events (dates finalized soon) and invite your friends to join!
- Check out our community engagement directory, listed here, and recommend any new additions you may have.
- Share your voice. Do you or someone you know have ideas, recommendations or interesting stories highlighting STEM? Let us hear from you.
Retooling our YP Survey
We are moving forward with an ambitious initiative to better understand young professionals in our region by creating a new survey for YPs that have recently relocated. We will measure their beliefs on professional opportunities, personal attractions and sense of place with the goal of proposing recommendations based on the trends we discover.
Want to help? We are starting on the survey soon, and, if you’re interested in getting involved, let us know.
Cultivating Community Collaboration
We know our mission cannot be achieved alone and that we need to work with others intentionally, not incidentally. In addition to our Engagement Directory, we will accomplish this by:
- Partnering with others. We’ve worked with a number of others on projects large and small, but want to hear what you’re working on and how we can help.
- Sharing more stories. We highlight and share stories by YPs for YPs, and always appreciate suggestions on interesting YPs or projects we should cover!
- Growing our team. Consider becoming a volunteer on an individual project or event (like YP Summit), or a future Council member. We’d love for you to reach out to learn more!
As the YP Council Chair, I’m excited for what 2019 holds for our Council and our community – and I’m excited to work with all of you to make it happen.
Andrew Prystai, 2019 YP Council Chair